Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I once met this great woman that taught me how to be a little green. I learn a little more each day. The first thing I wanted to make was my own laundry detergent but I was a little scared to try it out. Well I decided to give it a go. A month ago I made homemade laundry detergent and I love the simplicity of it. I made my first batch with just the basic ingredients. Washing soda, borax and a bar of fels-naptha. After looking for washing soda over a year ago I got frustrated because I couldn't find it so I gave up. Well last month I was at my local wal-mart and realized they now carry it. I used my homemade laundry soap for a month and decided to customize it. I read that fels-naptha is hard on clothes but plain ivory soap isn't enough. So I opted to make this months batch with one bar of fels-naptha, one bar of ivory soap, washing soda, borax and oxy- clean. I've had great results. Read below for the exact quantities. I use 1 tablespoon for a regular large load and 1.5 tablespoons for really soiled or sweaty clothes. I grated the bars of soap with a cheese grater. Once I grated everything I just mixed it all up in an old oatmeal container. This is part of my reuse, reduce and recycle mentality that I learned from a friend. Best of luck. Please ask any questions that you may have about laundry soap. Look for a post on making homemade fabric softener.

1 Bar Ivory Soap, grated
1 Bar Fels-Naptha, grated
2 Cups Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Oxy-Clean




No comments:

Post a Comment